Thursday, April 18, 2013

Dove Commercials - Not what I expected

So last night my wife called me over to the computer to show me a Dove commercial that was making the rounds of Facebook. This one.

At first I thought, "Wow, what a powerful message. I ought to use that in the Sex Ed unit I teach."

But then my wife sent me a link to this post the next morning while I was preparing for devotions in class.

Suddenly my opinion of the video was completely different.

Here's what bothers me most. I like to think of myself as an intelligent, perceptive, and critical thinking Christian, but I fell for the hidden messages in the video.

How are we to teach the discernment that we wish to see in our children when we don't always have it ourselves?

So, today, I threw my lesson plans for my Bible class out the window. Instead, we watched the video. Then we spent some time discussing it. The students had lots of praise for the video and pointed out the positive message that it was ostensibly aimed at. Then I had them go read the blog post rebuttal. After, we watched the video again. We spent some more time talking about it. The students had a very different reaction.

I hope that lessons about discernment of modern media sank in.

I did the best I could. I leave the rest in God's hands.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing -- that article put into words what I was thinking. I would have loved to have been in your class during the discussion to hear what you students were saying after reading the article and watching the video again. Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly enough I'm thinking that I want to continue the lesson. I think I will have my students write blog posts of their own in response and then I can link them here.

      Delete
  2. I really liked reading about this experience. I think the greater message is to be critical of the media we are consuming and to carefully consider all messages presented. I would love to hear more about the follow up to this activity...I think there are many ways you could tackle this with the various media forms available!

    ReplyDelete