Monday, October 1, 2012

It's not due if I don't Blog.

I'm aiming to have my students blogging once a week. As part of that process I've promised my students that their blogs aren't due unless I have complete my blog.

So, I'm going to complete the same assignment today that I'm giving them for this week.

Our school is a 7 Habits school. That would be the "7 Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey. We are inspired by A. B. Combs, a school that applied the 7 Habits to how their school runs. Although, as a Christian school, we take a slightly different angle on some of these ideas.

One of the 7 Habits is "Begin with the End in Mind". In my classroom I have students write their Personal Mission Statements. So I've assigned them the task of blogging their mission statement and explaining it.

So here's mine:


My Personal Mission Statement

Primary:
Serve God.
Love my Wife and children.
Be there for my friends and family.

Secondary:
Be honest.
Be worthy of trust.
Be prepared.
Be flexible.
Work hard.
Admit mistakes.
Fix mistakes.
Listen.
Learn.
Be Patient.

Explanation:

The primary elements of my mission statement: I want to be the best Father, Husband, Son, Brother, and Friend I can be. None of that happens unless God is at the centre. With God at the centre all those other roles that I desire to be fall into place.

The secondary elements of my mission statement: I have not been called to mediocrity. I have been called to excellence. But excellence demands excellent character. Even though these are lofty goals that I fall far short of, it's what I'm aiming for. I want to be the kind of person that someone else can count on, and so each day I strive to live up to these character qualities.

Ok, now let's hear yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment