Saturday, July 9, 2016

Responsive Classroom Part 3

In my last two posts I've been writing about my experience in a 4 day workshop by Responsive Classroom. Part 1 and Part 2.

I loved it but struggled with two key topics. I covered the first topic in Part 2.

I think that Responsive Classroom's ideas can create some of the very best classrooms.

But there is an underlying assumption about what a classroom is in their work. Or at least I heard an underlying assumption.

I heard that a classroom is a unit of students that is together for most, if not all, of the day. Led by one or two teachers for the most part.

I also found that their ideas about learning did not apply to my learning as an adult. I don't spend my time in a classroom and so I don't spend 70% of my learning time engaged in conversation with others. Mind you, interaction with others is still critical to my learning process, which is one of the reasons I blog. It just doesn't get anywhere near 70% and I wouldn't want it to.

So I come out of the workshop with some questions:

What if our schools weren't built around classrooms? What would that look like? I happen to think that Responsive Classroom's ideas about Morning Meeting would actually be even more important in an educational setting like that!

What if all this practice at learning well in classrooms doesn't prepare our kids for life outside of school?

No comments:

Post a Comment