Thursday, May 26, 2016

The Perils of Facebook

In my role as teacher and Technology Coordinator at a Christian school I hear lots of conversations about social media. Many of those conversations are focused on how much time is wasted, how shallow the connections are etc...

In fact, I almost never hear people speak about the positive benefits of social media. So let me tell you a story.

My daughter is sick. We've been struggling with her health for months. After a bout of flu that didn't seem to be going away I took her to the emergency room in our local hospital. After a long night they diagnosed appendicitis but there were complications and she would need to be transferred to another hospital more equipped for this situation.

It was in this busyness of organizing which parent would be where, where the van would be, who would pick up the kids from bus and so on that I posted a brief update to facebook. It was only a couple of sentences dashed together while in a hurry. I don't even use facebook much and I have a very limited pool of facebook friends. (That's a topic for another day.)

What happened next was joyful, helpful, and relieving.

Within hours our family and church community had mobilized. Supper appeared at our door. Lunches are being delivered to school tomorrow. People volunteered to take our kids. Prayer warriors from across the entire country were on their knees.

It has made a rough couple of days easier.

Thanks Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment