Monday, September 1, 2014

I'm scared. It's the first day of school.

I wonder if the students know that I am as scared as they are?

I've been teaching for 14 years and yet I still am sick to my stomach about tomorrow.

Will I be able to connect with every student?

Will I understand what they are going through and be able to help them?

When the bullying comes, because it will, will my efforts to help work?

Will all the brilliant and clever lessons I have prepared actually work?

Will I not be boring?

Will I teach what these students need?

The worst part of all, is that I already know the answer to these questions.

It's "no".

Not every day, not every time, and not for every student.

But, through God's grace, sometimes, perhaps even most of the time, I will.

And so tonight I will pray, like I do every night, that tomorrow I will have what I need to be a good teacher and that God will fill in the gaps where I don't.

1 comment: