Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I teach Sex Ed

When I teach algebra, or how to properly punctuate dialogue in a story I know that at least half my students will only use it to graduate from high school. After that they will never need it again.

But when I teach Sex Ed I know that every student needs it.

God has given us this great gift of sexuality. But then Satan has twisted it. Our world has a terribly unhealthy view of what sex is and how we are to use this gift. Quite frankly, I think that the current generation has a far greater challenge of dealing with this than I did or the generations before me. They don't need less Sex Ed from a Christian perspective, they need more of it.

And yet I have had more parent complaints and problems with my Sex Ed classes than any other. I was even dismayed to hear that some Christian High schools have stopped tackling the topic because of the controversy it generates.

What we believe about sex as Christians runs counter to what the world believes. Which makes it all the more important for us to teach.

No matter how embarrassing it is for me and my students when I have to lead the class.

1 comment: