Monday, January 13, 2014

A broken classroom.

I've come to believe that the classroom as we know it is broken.

I want to push the limits, explore what is possible, to build a classroom that serves every child who walks through the door.

I'm busy jumping off cliffs, trying new things, failing, getting up and trying again.

I'd like to get my fellow teachers to do the same thing.

I'd like to see them give up on their years of expertise, the craft they've honed so carefully, the classroom they love and are comfortable in.

Give it all up so they can go back and be a first year teacher again. Clumsy, stumbling, making mistakes, feeling foolish, having to struggle to find the way forward.

I have no idea how to convince them to do that.

I'm just going to keep plugging away in my room trying things. Some of them even work.

Maybe they'll follow.

1 comment:

  1. And all I can think of right now is Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society. "C'mon, stand on your desks, get a new perspective on the world. Open your mind to new ideas."
    An inspiring, and frightening, concept.

    ReplyDelete